Benchmark Status of BMW Cars
Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (BMW) is a German automobile company founded in 1916. It also manufactures motorcycles under the name BMW Motorrad along with engines. BMW is know for its elegant vehicle design for its performance and luxury cars.
Series of BMW cars:
- The 1 Series, launched in 2004, is BMW‘s series of compact luxury cars that is available in four body styles five-door hatchback, three-door hatchback, two-door coupe and the two-door convertible.
- The 3 Series, a compact executive car manufactured since 1975, is currently in its sixth generation.
- The 5 Series is a mid-size executive car, available in the sedan and station wagon forms.
- The 5 Series Gran Turismo debuted in 2010 and has created a new segment between station wagons and crossover SUVs.
- BMW’s full-size flagship executive sedan is the 7 Series which also has the latest technologies like the iDrive system.
- The 7 Series Hydrogen, featuring one of the world’s first hydrogen-fuelled internal combustion engines, is fuelled by liquid hydrogen and emits only clean water vapour.
- The latest generation debuted in 2009.
- The German manufacturer developed the 6 Series of the sports coupe and convertible car based on the 5 Series platform.
- BMW also has the presence in the two-seater roadster and coupe segment with the Z4, which is on sale since 2002.
Advanced BMW cars:
- The X3 was BMW’s first crossover SUV which debuts in 2003 and is base on the E46/16 3 Series platform.
- The all-wheel-drive X5 is a mid-size luxury SUV sell by BMW since 2000.
- The X6 is in market as a Sports Activity Coupe (SAC) by BMW.
- The X1 extended the BMW Sports Activity Series model line-up by being the most affordable X series vehicle.
- BMW sells eight high-performance cars under its “M” brand – M3 sedan, M4 coupe, M4 convertible, M5 sedan, M6 coupe, M6 gran coupe, M6 convertible and X6 M.
Performance of BMW in India:
- In India, BMW establishes in 2006 as a sales subsidiary in Gurgaon.
- A state of the art assembly plant for BMW 3 and also 5 Series started operation in early 2007 in Chennai.
- Construction of the plant started in January 2006 with an initial investment of more than one billion Indian Rupees.
- The plant started operation in the first quarter of 2007 and produces the different variants of BMW 3 Series and BMW 5 Series.
- This plant currently assembles the 3, 5, 730Ld, X3, X5 and the 3 Series GT.
- BMW also offers its highly regarded M performance cars in India through the completely built up (CBU) route.